Friday 20 November 2009

Multi-Media Role-Playing

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new Star Wars RPG campaign and this time I'm going to try going all technological.

A friend of mine (shout out to Martin) has taken to running combat on a computer screen to avoid the need for models and a clear space to use them. When I started the planning for my campaign I asked a few questions of my potential players, one was how to handle combat; When the results came in, the use of a computer screen was favourite. With this in mind, I was thinking I'd move a few feet from running the game in my dining room to the living room where I have a big TV to put my laptop into.

I then started thinking what a waste it would be to have the screen blank during the session whenever combat isn't happening, so I decided to try a multimedia approach.

Being Star Wars, I will have an opening crawl at the start of each adventure to introduce the story. I also hope to get some CG models of each of the characters so I can use them in short animations or graphics for display. I even hope to use the odd bit of programming to display computer consoles or keypads where passwords or similar are required.

No comments: