Saturday 13 February 2010

Creating a Bothan in Poser

As I have mentioned in a previous post, the latest RPG I am running is a Star Wars campaign with multimedia support, known as Fade to Black. I have now run the first session and will be posting some of the details of the preparation.
In the first of these posts I'll discuss the creation of a 3D character for a Bothan, a species in the Star Wars universe that one of my players is using.
The picture to the right shows what a Bothan should look like and what I am aiming for. As all except the head is basically the same as a human, I started with the basic Michael 4 figure from DAZ in poser.
The first step is to create a snout-like shape for the mouth and nose of the figure, I do this by creating a magnet with it's base located toward the front of the jaw as shown below. If you look closely, you can see the size and position of the magnet's area of effect in the image below, but you will want to configure this to your own taste.
Pull the magnet away from the head to stretch the lower face into a shape that you think is the right size for your Bothan. Once you have a shape you are happy with, you can spawn a new morph target and delete the magnet. Setting the new morph target to "1" should morph the head to show the snout.
While the basic shape is there, it doesn't look like the mouth and nose of a Bothan, but I'll come back to that later. The next thing to do is the simple task of changing the ears to the long and pointy style the Bothan has. Fortunately, the Michael 4 figure, and a number of others, comes with morphs for Elf ears, experiment with these until you find something that works for you.
OK, back to the face and here is where I cheat slightly. I bought a copy of the cat world bundle and applied the face morph to my Bothan, giving feline features to the nose and mouth.
Now that the facial features are more "Bothan-y", I need to make a few adjustments to the shape of the lower face. I created another magnet on the face and pulled the mouth down and slightly forward, one more magnet allowed me to flatten the mouth and nose as they had become pointed during the stretching.
At the penultimate step, I added some long hair. There are loads of hair props out there you can use, just find one that fits the model and suits your Bothan.
Finally, I replaced the skin texture with one of the textures from the cat world bundle and changed the colour of the texture to a more neutral tan shade. To complete the effect I also changed the colour of the eyes to a yellow-green to better suit the character.
Say hello to Teruft Tarvish, a Bothan scout and a member of Unit : Black.



No comments: